Tuesday, May 29, 2007

My Birthday and Crab Fest!



So my birthday was last Friday, May 25 and I was really excited about it because it was going to be the first time in the 4 years with Brian in the CG, that we were going to spend my birthday together. Well Brian had duty on Thursday night, so he couldn't be there the morning of my birthday. I wasn't too sad because I knew I would see him later on that night. So about 11am, I get a phone call at work from Brian. The C-130 that he was on was providing cover for a rocket launch here in Kodiak(they were making sure there were no boats in the water when the rocket landed in the water) and the fog was so bad that they couldn't land back at the airport (he was literally less than 2 miles from the base, but they couldn't land because of the weather). So they headed to Anchorage but because the weather was so yucky they weren't going to be able to come back to Kodiak until the next day. So I was standing there crying at work(bad when you are a receptionist, but anywho). I was so upset, we have no family up here, so I was literally going to spend my birthday by myself, so I russled up some coworkers and we all decided to go to Crab Fest that night, so that I wouldn't have to spend my birthday by myself. About 1/2 hour later, I got a big bunch of flowers at work from the local florist. Brian felt so bad that he wasn't going to be here so he tried to make it up to me. He explained the situation to the florist and I guess she must have hightailed it over to my work because the tears had barely dried on my face.





So later on, my coworkers and I were getting out of the car at Crab Fest and Brian calls on my cell phone(it was a miracle my cell phone was even on, because it is dead about 3 weeks out of every month, lol. He asked me where I was, because no one was answering at the house. So I explained my new plans to him and told him I was at Crab Fest. He said that his plane circled Kodiak for a few hours and couldn't land once again. So I hang up and I am walking through the crosswalk with my friends and as one of my coworkers described "a green blob came running up behind us and grabbed me and kissed me!" It was Brian in his flight suit, my coworkers didn't recognize him because they have never seen him in his flight suit. I was so shocked. I guess the pilot that was on Brian's original C-130 overheard his conversation with me, and after Brian got off the phone with me, he explained how many birthdays he had missed and that I was crying. So the pilot pulled some strings and got Brian on another C-130 that was going to try to fly into Kodiak that same day. So the C-130 circled Kodiak a bunch of times and they started leaking hydraulic fluid, so they were going to head back to Anchorage because they couldn't see. The pilot suddenly saw the lights on the landing strip and decided to go for it. So Brian made it in time for my B-Day.


As if the flowers and him being home weren't enough, he also got me a Vera Bradley bag and a really pretty set of pearl earrings.




Here is the purse. It and the earrings are my new favorite things.









We are so excited to visit Eugene. My Mom and Dad got us tickets to go see Alison Krauss in concert in Portland. We are going with them and Katie and Nick(her boyfriend). I can't wait to visit a big city, it's been a long time.




Carl was following me around while I was taking the pictures of all my new stuff, so I thought I would include one of him. He loves having his picture taken. We were all cracking up on Friday because he was totally hogging the web cam, he even tried sitting in my lap. He had a playdate on Friday night with my friend Kelli's dog Roscoe, while we were all at Crab Fest. They are an unlikely pair of friends. Roscoe is a small white West Highland Terrier, about the size of my parent's dog Macy and Carl is a 65 pound black dog. But they had a blast. The guys that stayed at the house while we went out actually had to separate them because they were knocking stuff off the coffee table while they were chasing each other. They were so fun to watch. I think we are going to start getting them together for more playdates, this was their first time meeting each other and they hit it off.





He weighs a whopping 65 pounds now. He only weighed 45 at his last Dr.'s appt back in January. There isn't an ounce of fat on him though, he is pure puppy muscle.


We also had Crab Fest this weekend. It's more like a fair than the actual Fair is. There was a parade on Saturday and all kinds of events going on. Our favorite event was the Survival Suit race. They were teams of 4 people and they all had to run down the boat loading dock and race to put on their It is harder than it sounds because all 4 people have to be in the boat and that is when they stop the timer. The team with the shortest time wins. They get automatically disqualified if there is a hole or the zipper doesn't work on their survival suit. The reason for this is because in real life you are supposed to check your survival suit for things like this before you go out fishing or boating. If water leaks inside your survival suit, it defeats the purpose and you will probably die. If the survival suit works properly, you can live for several hours in the water as opposed to only a few minutes without it. Our favorite team was two guys and each of them had a kid. The little girl got her survival suit on the fastest out of all the teams we saw and then when all 4 of them hopped in the water, they put the little kids on their stomachs so they went faster. There is no rule against it and the kids were little enough that it didn't slow them down. Here are is a picture of our favorite team.

They also had a bunch of booths selling different things made in Kodiak. We bought a fleece wheat heating bag. You put it in the microwave and it stays warm for a few hours. It is .so nice. We also bought a neat magnet from a woman that has a store here in Kodiak, coincidentally named Annie's Gifts and Collectibles, haha. She handpaints magnets and ornaments with different scenes from Kodiak.

I think that is all for now. Hope it doesn't take you too long to get to the end of this.

No comments: